Re: The big clutch question!

To: Spitfire List <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: The big clutch question!
From: Chip Mautz <clmautz@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 07:39:09 -0800 (PST)
---Ryan Smith <shmitty99@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry no answers here but your post got me thinking about something.
> What is the proper way to downshift with a 3 rail tranny. Should you
> double clutch?  And what is the 2nd gear to 1st gear trick?  Since I
> think the synchro ring on 2nd gear of my car is slowly turning into a
> graphite-like substance I want to preserve this box as long as
possible.

I double clutch every gear, up and down.  Hmm - maybe it has something
to do with my 'leaks like a sieve' MC?  ;-)

Chip

p.s. - I double clutch my '92 Toyota Celica GT, too - but that's 'cuz
I shifted too fast beat the syncro for 6 years - wore out the 3rd gear
syncro.  heh...

==
Chip Mautz
Dacula, Ga, USA
'99 Jeep Wrangler - _O|||||||O_
'71 Spitfire MKIV - 'Ol Smokey

"Do.  Or Do Not.  There is no try." - Yoda