Re: Window waist seals

To: Roger Elliott <relliott@cjnetworks.com>
Subject: Re: Window waist seals
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1998 19:15:30 -0800
Roger Elliott wrote:

> I am getting ready to install the window waist seals and fuzzy weather
> strip on my Spitfire.  I have been warned that this is no fun .
>
> I  have made a tool that is shown in the manuals for installing the
> clips, but does anyone have tips that make it easy? or at least easier?

Roger,
Regardless of how many times you have done the task, it doesn't get any
easier.

In addition to what it says in the books, here's a few tips that have
worked for me.

1. Install the fuzzy one first.  If you have the glass out, it's much
easier to install the seal before installing the glass.

2. It's impossible to get the glass in after installing the outer rubber
seal (without tearing it up).  So you'll have to install this one last.

3. Before attempting to install the clips, lay each seal up against
where it is to be installed and using black electrical tape, mark on the
paint (or vinyl) exactly where the clip channels are on the seals.  This
will help locate the clips without physically being able to see the
channels.  After the clips are installed, the tape can be easily removed
without marring the paint.

Good luck,
Joe

P.S. It's a good idea to remove the door panel so you can easily
retrieve all the dropped clips that fall down inside the door.  8^)

  -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer