More performance in a Spitfire

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: More performance in a Spitfire
From: Andrew Miller <amiller@JetForm.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 15:07:09 -0500

 Well after Laura waxed on proudly about Nigel - and Dan's numbers I asked
my Local LBC mechanic/low pressure sales guy about more performance in a
Sptifire 1500

1.      Lose the air pump and emissions stuff <done, by PO>
2.      Convert to Dual SU-HS4s <done>
3.      Headers  <done>
4.      Perfomance SS exhaust <done>

Then I started the "what if"

a)      What if I swapped in the GT-6 engine ?
b)      and swapped the diff because of a)
c)      and swapped the bonnet because of a)
d)      and swapped the brakes because of a)
e)      added an oil cooler because of a)
f)      swapped the rad becasue of a)
e)      and paid him to do it because a) is not a strict unbolt/bolt
operation

He told me "You're pricing and describing a GT-6", I said "no, no,  the GT-6
has a roof"  that's when he countered with

"oh..... you mean a TR-6 !"

So I have an offer out on a '75 TR-6, dual SU-HS8, headers, quad exhaust,
new paint (Monday), new top, overdrive, new carpet - mechnaically and A,
cosmetically... it needs new seat foams and covers.

Still way cheaper and more fun than a used Miata

Wish me luck   !