Re: trunions

To: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@home.com>, Glenn Trunnell <trunnell@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: trunions
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 18:35:46 -0500
At 08:53 AM 12/4/98 -0500, Vic Whitmore wrote:
>Glenn, my Haynes says remove the plug, replace with a grease nipple and
>use grease. That is the job I've got to do this weekend...replace right
>rear trunnion bushings.

Vic, I must agree with Glenn, the grease fittings front and rear do not
provide any lubrication to the lower pivot bolts of the trunnions.

IIRC, grease is to be packed inside the 'gap' between the nylon bushes
during assembly.   But it doesn't last forever.

Is there a way to lubricate these things without removing the bolt and/or
distance tubes? ISTR that Chris Lillja mentioned that he disassembles and
lubes his annually.  But I don't recall seeing that in the Bentley
maintenance section!

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire
NEW THREAD:  Bet my Spitfire squeaks more than Tim's rotary Spit!   NYAA
NYAA NYAA!  :)