Re: trunions

To: vicwhit@home.com, carbuff@nac.net
Subject: Re: trunions
From: Cwn74@aol.com
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 10:04:29 EST
In a message dated 12/7/98 6:05:38 AM Pacific Standard Time, vicwhit@home.com
writes:

> Yes the trunnion lubrication is poor. There is a hole in the trunnion
>  housing that feeds thru to the grease nipple. It is located right in the
>  middle where the gap would be between the bushings. Not a big deal
>  because once you fill the gap, there is no place for the grease to go as
>  the bushing clearance seems to be too tight to take any grease. When I
>  greased mine, the grease came out around the axle bearing but none come
>  out around the bushing seals.

The rear grease fitting is to grease the hub bearings.  As you said, there's
little room in the plastic/tube area for the grease to go.  If you assemble it
with neversieze or grease it's good for life as there's very little movement
there anyway.  The plastic wears out from the pounding the rear suspension
gets on bumps, nothing lubrication would help.

The main thing is to lubricate the thru bolt so it doesn't rust up to the
metal tube and make renewal a real problem!  Newer Spitfire bolts were plated
and not such a problem, but better safe than ....

Also, use the rear kit on the rear! Blue plastic...

Clark