Spit master clyinder woes

To: Spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spit master clyinder woes
From: Ken Bertschy <kentop@dakotacom.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 17:50:28 -0700
Boy, it just doesn't pay to go the cheap route.

I had a problem shifting into all gears on my 77' Spit 1500. It was like
the clutch wasn't completely disengaging and I had to force the shifter
through the gates and into gear.  My master cylinder was leaking a lot, so
I replaced the seals. Then it was leaking just a little but the shifting
only improved marginally. Then I bought a used master cylinder from Dan
Carey (Thanks, Dan!). I honed and cleaned the cylinder, put new seals in
and . . . it shifts even worse than before!

I get the idea that honing out the cylinder was a stupid thing to do
because now I think that I have an internal leak in the master cylinder and
that fluid is getting around the piston and not actuating the slave
cylinder far enough to disengage the clutch. Is this possible? Has anyone
else had this problem?  I have not touched the slave cylinder at this
point, but could this be happening at the slave cylinder too?

Also, does anyone else have trouble shifting into first when the engine is
cold and the idle is high due to the choke?