Spifires at Le Man's

To: Spitfire List <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Spifires at Le Man's
From: Chip Mautz <clmautz@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 01:35:56 +1100 (EST)
Well, the show on Speedvision was great, if not a little short (1/2
hour)!  Too much time spent on the AC Cobra coupe, the GT40's, the
Ferrari's, etc.  Not that there's anything wrong with that...

One of the drivers now hosts shows for Speedvision - David Hobbs.  He
drove one of the Spitfires.

They showed the 3 works Spits entered.  It's gruesome, though - two of
the Spits die horrible deaths.

One is driven into a wall at high speed, while being overtaken by a
bigger car at much higher speed - it got bumped off the course.  :-(

The other was run into another wall after the driver succummed to
petrol fumes.  It looked ROUGH!

No one was hurt, however, due to the strength of the Spitfire.  The
crashes looked bad, but I'm glad that the Spit's held up.

The third Spitfire (Hobb's car) finished without a hitch!

They also showed Paddy Hopkirk running the race in a red MGB w/ white
hardtop.  There were also Lotus Elan's, Sprites (I believe), Porsche's
(904's?), Cobra's, Ferrari GTO's, etc.  Way cool!

It was funny seeing these huge companies (Porsche, Ferrari, Ford)
wheeling in their cars in big trucks, large teams, sets of tires, and
the Triumph team (4-5 people) unloading these DINKY tires for the
Spits.  Heh.  I loved it!

If anyone sees any other LBC related shows come up on Speedvision,
please let me know.  It's the reason I pay extra $$ for the cable...
;-)

Chip

==
Chip Mautz
Dacula, Ga, USA
'99 Jeep Wrangler - _O|||||||O_
'71 Spitfire MKIV - 'Ol Smokey

"Le Mans 1938:  Rob ran his Delayahe sans helmet, but it's said that he stopped
at dusk
to exchange his brown shoes for eveningwear black" - The Ones That Got Away,
R&T, Dec. 1998.