"What's up with the British"

To: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: "What's up with the British"
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 12:18:34 -0000
>- --- Britain's Lovers of muskets, cannons and gunpowder have been
issued
>a new 26-page safety guide to prevent war re-enactment enthusiasts
from
>shooting themselves, or each other.

One of my colleagues at Gaydon is a fervent supporter of The Sealed
Knot Society. In early October, she arranged a display in a cabinet
on The Battle of Edgehill - October 31, 1642 which is 3 miles away.
As the display was nearing its finish, a Captain turned up carrying
uniforms and other impedimentia for 'added effect.'
One of the extras was a 10 foot long Pike, with a point and edge like
a razor. As he went down the escalator chatting to all and sundry,
one of your countrymen very nearly didn't make it back to London
Airport for the journey home.
Lots of ensuing homour about Boston Tea Party and the War of
Independence.
Culminated in dressing up said visitor in clothes "for the King"
though he was given the opportunity of appearing in favour of
Parliament. Then stuffed him in the top down TR3A (with the Pike
VERTICAL) and photographed him from the Land Rover banking.
His comment in the Visitors Book was that he had come to HMC with the
objective of seeing old LBC's rather than getting himself killed.

John Mac