Re: u-joint

To: "Spitfires" <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: u-joint
From: "Ryan Smith" <spitty@vt.edu>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 14:12:01 -0500
I have seen the tapping technique work on American made cars' u-joints but
when I pulled the half-shafts in the spitfire no amount of tapping, beating,
or swearing would make the joint come out.  I eventually ended up using an
old socket and the bench vice to press the cups out.

Going back to Fred's original question you do do need to pull the half
shaft.  Its not very hard and the most annoying thing is probably having to
rebleed your brakes.

Ryan W. Smith
Mechanical Engineering
VPI&SU