Triumph videos - rentransmission

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: Triumph videos - rentransmission
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 21:22:55 -0000
Hi, Guys

(Latest status is we have 10 'orders' of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd
preferences on videos HMF 1017 and 1027. All the others are just twos
and threes, so it looks like the above are the most popular. C'mon,
we're almost halfway there for a minimum order per video of 25
copies)

The films I've listed are copies of originals formerly housed in the
Standard Triumph Film Library in Coventry and most, if not all of
that original footage was shot by a man called Frank Callaby. You
should know that Frank was a true Triumph man in every sense of the
word. He was with Triumph PRE-war when it was the REAL Triumph Motor
Company and came to Standard in 1945. Originally, he qualified as a
draughtsman but displayed a unique ability with cameras and soon
found himself running the company's Film and Photographic Unit. Dad
and I got to know him very well. He's still alive - but a very old
and far from well man. I digress.

Franks films, briefly described from the HMC leaflet do give some
considerable exposure (no pun) to cars other than Triumph. This is
part of his artistry with a 16mm camera - and what he achieved is a
delight. When / if any of you buy them, I think you'll support my
view.

Having thought about this general supply thing for a day or so, I
think it's better to post this to the list for several days in
succession in the hope that almost everyone gets to see it. I've
thought about the order consolidation bit too. I think it's better if
I do it if none of you have any objection?

What I'm going to do, is set up a simple spreadsheet (Excel) of the
films in question and then ask you to e-mail me with the film
reference numbers you'd like to have. At this stage, don't ask any
questions about payment or giving me your address, girlfriend's phone
number or whatever. ALL I WANT TO KNOW IS WHAT FILMS ARE THE
PREFERRED ONES AND TO WHAT EXTENT. As I receive your replies, I'll
put your names and preferences on the list and then, each day I'll
post the most current version of the list as an attachment. This way,
you'll be able to see how the choice is breaking out for everyone who
wants a film or films.

When you write to me, say:
My name is Andy Mace
My first choice is film#
My second choice is film#
My third choice is film#
etc

Maybe you only want one film - and that's okay. As the spreadsheet
starts to swell out, you can see whether your preferred film is
shared by others. If it is, then well and good. If not, mail me
again, and say something like "John, this isn't going the way I want,
pull me off the list" and I'll do that.

Sometime around the New Year, I'll say, "Right guys - this is the big
picture. If we've got enough 'firm commitments' for any of the films,
THAT is when I'll tell you how to tell me where you are and how to
pay.

Why all these "complications?" It's just because Gaydon only stocks
films (videos) in PAL format and I guess you'll want them in NTSC?
The video compiler will ONLY do films in a minimum batch of 25 of
each and it could be that we just don't reach that number for any one
film. Don't know what we do at that stage - maybe abandon the whole
thing, but at least we'll have tried!. That's why I think it's
important for you to list more than just one choice. So, without
further ado.........

BTW, each video (50 mins run time approx) costs pounds 14.99 and this
is how the inclusive P&P price works out. I've round to the nearest
whole pound and US$ prices use an exchange rate of Pound1=US$1.65

UK P&P 16.00 quid or US$26.40
EUROPE P&P 18.00 quid or US$29.70
REST OF WORLD P&P 22.00 quid or US$36.30

HMF 1016 - Classic Rallying 1960/62 MONTE CARLO & ALPINE
The 1960 Monte Carlo Rally marked the debut of the Mini which though
not successful in this year was to become dominant in the rally
field. The 1962 Alpine Rally welcomed the new Mini Cooper while the
Triumph TR4 got excellent results, despite heavy snow.

HMF 1017 - LE MANS 1960/61
The 1960 Le Mans featured three experimental TR's, a birdcage
Maserati, 12 works Ferraris and a Briggs Cunningham Corvette. Only
the Triumph team remained intact to the end of the race, taking the
team prize. In 1961, the Triumph team returned with the same cars and
re-took the team prize as well as finishing 9th, 11th and 15th
overall

HMF 1023 - Classic Rallying 1954/55 ALPINE & TULIP
The Alpine Rally was one of the toughest and fastest in Europe. The
Tulip Rally extended from the flats of the Netherlands to the
mountains of the Black Forest (Germany) and the French Alps and on to
the race circuits at Solitude, Nurburgring and Zandvoort.

HMF 1024 - Classic Rallying 1956 ALPINE & MONTE CARLO
By 1956, the Alpine Rally had extended into Yugoslavia, whose roads
were proclaimed "the worst in Europe" by rally drivers. The Monte
Carlo Rally in 1956 had 309 entries starting from seven different
points around Europe converging on on Paris for the Common Run down
to Monte Carlo, a total route of 2600 miles.

HMF 1027 - LE MANS 1955/64
The 1955 Le Mans 24 hour race was notorious for the crash that killed
80 spectators but it was the scene of the titanic struggle between
Jaguar and Mercedes Benz. The final result was a 1-2-3 win for
British cars which numbered 13 of the 21 finishers.

HMF 1035 - Classic Rallying 1963 MONTE CARLO AND ALPINE "NEW RELEASE"
1963 was the most severe winter winter in living memory in Europe and
the Monte Carlo Rally became an endurance test rather than a rally.
The Alpine turned out to be the Mini Benefit Event but with a strong
showing from the TR4's and Reliant Sabres.

Phew, I think that's about it!

Over to you

Jonmac