Re: heater controls

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: heater controls
From: "R.D. Waid" <msp01091@isd.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 20:10:58 +0000
I removed the stuck cable from my 71 and attempted to lube it. It absolutely
would not budge in its metal sheath until I put the bent end in the chuck of my
variable speed drill, secured the other end in my vise, and slowly rocked it
back and forth with the drill motor. After it twisted loose I removed it and
greased it wtih lithium grease. No further problems except trying to get it set
so that "Cold" is all the way off at the valve, and "Hot" is all the way open.
I'm still fooling with that 2 years later.

What's the most common cause of odometer failure in early '70s Spits (speedo
still works)? Is it a plastic drive gear? Anybody know of a commercially
available (and, needless to say, cheap) replacement part or repair?

Bob Waid
Signal Red  71 Mk IV