Spitfire stories

To: Spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spitfire stories
From: Ken Bertschy <kentop@dakotacom.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 19:03:46 -0700
Wow. Great stories all around. The most enjoyable reading I've done all year.
To cap all these stories off, here's a quote from a children's book called
"The Little Prince" by Antoine De Saint-Exupery:

The little prince went away, to look again at the roses.
"You are not at all like my rose," he said. "As yet you are nothing. No one
has tamed you, and you have tamed no one. You are like my fox when I first
knew him. He was only a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But I have
made him my friend, and now he is unique in all the world."
And the roses were very much embarassed.
"You are beautiful, but you are empty," he went on. "One could not die for
you. To be sure, an ordinary passerby would think that my rose looked just
like you - the rose that belongs to me. But in herself alone she is more
important than all the hundreds of you other roses: because it is she that
I have watered: because it is she that I have put under the glass globe;
because it is she that I have sheltered behind the screen; because it is
she that I have listened to, when she grumbled or boasted, or even
sometimes when she said nothing. Because she is MY rose.

He went back to meet the fox. And the fox said, "And now here is my secret,
a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the eye. It is the time you have devoted
to your rose that makes your rose so important. Men have forgotten this
truth. But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for
what you have tamed. You are responsible for your rose..."

Now, substitute the word "rose" with the word "Spitfire"

Pretty profound children's book, eh? Happy New Year