Re: gear ratios

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: gear ratios
From: "Ryan Smith" <shmitty99@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 21:49:17 PST
This may be a response in the opposite direction but I recently reduced
my stock 4.11 to a 3.89 and I really like the difference.  To me the
4.11 was too "short legged."  I would have to shift before I could
complete a left turn from a stand still.  I guess the engineeers thought
the low compression 1300 needed a short throw but in my humble opinion
the 3.89 is a more comfortable ratio.  A 3.63 may be ok for a 1500 but
my 1300 would probably bog down with gears that steep.  I would think in
order to utilize the UK ratio you would also make the rest of the drive
train uk spec: twin SU's, less emissions stuff, etc. to get it moving
off the line.

Ryan Smith
72 Emerald Green Spitfire