Re: gear ratios

To: "Ron Roach" <rroach@intouch.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: gear ratios
From: "James Carpenter" <jc_carpenter@softhome.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 12:44:26 -0000
Lets say I have a UK set-up 1500, and the car seems like it would like
another gear.  At 60 mph it's got 3000 on the rev counter but the engine
would be perfectly happy if it were only doing 2300.  This is why I am going
to overhaul my spare overdrive gearbox and swap that with the 4 speed
currently in the car.

The main reason the car doesn't like high revs above 2800 is because of a
noisy dizzy, it's warn and the shaft seems to bounce up and down making a
horrible noise.  I have a replacement electronic ignition dizzy but the
wrong centrifugal advance, what I plan doing is locking the advance up, and
then making an electronic circuit to emulate it.  Get round to that at some
point.

Anyone overhauled an overdrive box?  I thing the OD it's self wants taking
apart cleaning and putting together again.   The box needs some new bits,
some time I will do this an will be happy driving a SIX speed car.

In conclusion I could not imagine driving the car with a lower gear ratio,
and it's quick off the mark anyway.  My current engine has never revved
above 4800 rpm it don't like it.  Driving at motorway speeds 70-80 MPH will
push it very close to that figure, having said that if I spend some time and
replace things like valve springs, the cam, rockers and the dizzy then it
would have no problem.