Re: It runs but..

To: "Craig" <smi2685@ibm.net>, "Spit list" <spitfires@triumph.cs.utah.edu>
Subject: Re: It runs but..
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 17:33:13 -0500
At 02:49 PM 1/10/99 -0500, Craig wrote:
>OK here we go again... Sorry for all the posts

Don't be, that's what we are here for.

>Let me give some background.
>Total rebuild on engine.
>Carb problem fixed (I think)
>Engine runs but I must choke it, I can't turn the choke off or it stalls.
>
>I checked the timing with a light, To get it to run the timing is way before
>the marks on the metal degree settings on the timing chain cover. I tried to
>time it to 8 degrees but it won't continue to run when I try to get it even
>close to the plate.
>
>On another deal, #3 isn't even getting any spark through the cap. I moved
>the induction from #1 wire to all the wires and I get a nice light except
>#3.
>I haven't bought a new cap or button but it should fire if the other 3 are,
>right ?

Wrong.   A bad/cracked cap or broken electrode inside the cap could result
in 'no spark' at #3.   If you had the engine out, could you have bumped it
during installation?

'Course it could be a bad sparkplug wire too, maybe.

Get all the cylinders firing.    Set the timing to spec (I forget whether a
71 has vacuum advance or retard - but check that the diaphragm is OK).
Then set the mixture.

How tight are your vacuum lines?   I got a significant change in mixture
when I replaced all of the elbows on the hard plastic vacuum lines.

Think how proud you'll be when you get that sucker running.

PS, on mine the exhaust was clogged with critter droppings.  Took about 5
min of running fast-idle to get the junk out.

Atwell

(Rather be helping you than painting just now)