RE: It runs but..

To: Spit list <spitfires@triumph.cs.utah.edu>
Subject: RE: It runs but..
From: Nick Moseley <nmoseley@iwaccu.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 14:48:23 -0800
Craig, I had a similar problem after having done a tune-up to my Volvo. =
I thought I'd be like the pro's and actually removed the distributor to =
change the points etc. I've done many many tuneups before, but not =
involving removing the distributor.
Possibilities:
-on the compression stroke, line up the timing mark on the pulley to the =
correct timing mark on the scale attached to the engine, and make sure =
that the rotor is pointing to  #1 cylinder (closest to the radiator),
-check that you have the spark plug wires firing 1-3-4-2 =
_anti-clockwise_.
(This particular Volvo had it going clockwise, and one of the symptoms =
(aside from it running like a bucket of bolts) was that there was no =
spark in #3. I had just gone through problems with timing of my 78, and =
"assumed" that the Volvo rotoation was the same as the Spit. When I got =
the Spit, someone had "assumed" that the Spit was supposed to be =
clockwise.)

Hope this may be of use, good luck

Nick Moseley
76 + (1.60) 78 Spits