Re: Spitfire Diff. Noise Question

To: "James Carpenter" <jc_carpenter@softhome.net>,
Subject: Re: Spitfire Diff. Noise Question
From: "Keith R. Stewart" <kstewart@wwdc.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 16:46:42 -0500
> I got the TSSC spring compressor at 1/3rd the price by shopping around.
> found the place that made the compressor, I am not sure where the hub
puller
> is made.  It seems to me though you are much better off getting a generic
> hub puller, seeing the price of the TSSC item I would imagine its cheaper
> and works better.
>
> The hub puller is something that tightens onto the wheel studs and  then
> allows you to pull the hub off by tightening a bolt that pushes the hub
> puller with hub attached away from the axle.  Having seen the damage done
by
> a miss used hammer I would not recommend doing the job without one.
While James' observations may well be true of his experiences, I have used
the 'generic hub pullers' found in most mechanics' shops and the result was
a badly bent hub on my TR4A. To see what it would take to free up the hub
and since it was already ruined, we next tried a 20 ton hydraulic shop
press...the hub did not budge! Next up, heat with an oxy-acetylene torch
and the 20 ton press...the hub did not budge!

Eventually, I located a shop with the correct Churchill tool. To be on the
safe side, we first used it on the already ruined hub...it slid right off!.
The other hubs took a bit more work, but the hubs ultimately came free
without any negative consequences.

Cheers
Keith Stewart