Re: Spitfire Diff. Noise Question

To: Brian Furgalus <mowog@usa.net>, PVanDuyne@aol.com
Subject: Re: Spitfire Diff. Noise Question
From: jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil (Bowen, Patrick A. RP2)
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 10:22:16
Brian,  while u-joints typically make the whop sound when they are bad,
remember there is always an exception, such as mine.  My car made an
incredibly loud screaching noise under loads, but not when the pedal was
let off. I was convinced mine were ok because they did not show the typical
symptoms.  While this might not be your problem, look at everything from a
different angle.  If you do not believe your diff is bad, then take a
serious look and figure out what else could it be?  Off center diff,
u-joints, wheel bearings, bent axle, bad breaks, leaking grease seals,
maybe even bushings?

Patrick

At 10:50 PM 1/7/99 -0500, Brian Furgalus wrote:
>I really don't think it's the U-joints.  It could be, but wouldn't it
>make that noise ALL the time?  This whining noise only occured with the
>foot off the clutch pedal.  It would happed under load, while coasting,
>ALL the time.  When the clutch pedal is pressed fully to the floor, the
>noise stops, while coasting, COMPLETELY stops.  If it were u-joints,
>wouldn't the noise occur regardless of whether or not they are worn?  I
>still find it hard to believe that a diff. with 34K miles on it could
>actually be dying!  Could it just be low on oil?  The fact that the
>loise only occurs when there is INPUT to the differential, not
>necessarilt movement, wouldn't that signify a bad diff?  Or is this
>noise I'm hearing completely normal and nothing to worry about?  If I
>can get another 10K out of it, I'd be happy.
>
>Thanks,
>Brian Furgalus
>
>PVanDuyne@aol.com wrote:
>>
>> I also had the same experiance as Patrick the U-Joint where completely shot
>> and much cheaper than a Differential. Brian, I was advised to change all
the

Patrick Bowen
'79 Spitfire
Jacksonville FL