Tranny problem

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Tranny problem
From: Jambone <jambone6@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 07:28:25 -0800 (PST)
I just completed refinishing my wheels, putting 4 new tires on, and
getting an inspection sticker.  Had a couple days of great top-down
driving weather here in D/FW.  I got in it this morning to go to work,
tried to shift into reverse and <POP>!

Here's the deal: The gear shift lever feels REALLY loose on the
3rd/4th/R gear side.  It feels fine over towards 1st and 2nd.  I can
shift into 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears just fine - the car will drive
in these gears.  I can't shift into reverse, however.  I've owned the
car since September '98, and it's always been a little difficult
getting into 3rd gear and reverse.  You're supposed to pull up on the
knob to shift into reverse, but I could never really pull it up.  Now
that everything feels really loose, I can pull it up just fine.

Any ideas on what I broke?  It's a '76 1500 with no overdrive.  :^(

TIA,
Brian