Re: GT6 Chassis

To: Zip <J.D.C.Zerihan@soton.ac.uk>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: GT6 Chassis
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 07:49:34 -0800
>can I use the rotoflex chassis with the non-rotoflex rear suspension
>(effectively making the rotoflex brackets redundant), or do you
>recommend either converting to a rotoflex rear end or repairing the
>current non-rotoflex chassis?
Jonathan,
It really depends on what you want, although it's not quite as straight
forward as it seems.  To use the rotoflex chassis/body and standard axles
would require either new rear steel brake lines and their respective frame
attaching points, or modifying/making some flexible lines to fit as the
mounting/fitting/ and routing for these lines are different.  Plus the
radius rod mounting brackets would have to be installed from the
non-rotoflex tub, or new radius rods would have to be made to fit the
existing inboard mounting points (actually a preferred method for improving
the handling and installing wider tires).  Personally, I prefer the
rotoflex (and apparently BL thought enough of it to build it justifying the
cost and complexity) so I would opt for the rotoflex system.  I have had
the narrow track (original) swing spring, 2 inch increased track (later)
swing spring, and the rotoflex system on my 72 Spitfire at one time or
another as my project evolved, and can say that a properly set up rotoflex
system is much better than any swing axle version.  Much improved ride, no
more excessive negative rear camber, and improved, more predictable handling

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)