HELP WITH TIMING!

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: HELP WITH TIMING!
From: jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil (Bowen, Patrick A. RP2)
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 10:04:04
OK,  I took some time and examined my timing problem a little closer.  With
the engine warm, off fast idle and idling about 600-800, and the vacuum
tube connected (per the manual), this is what I found.  At 10 deg BTDC (the
prescribed timing)  the engine would run albeit not that great and around
500 rpm,  adjusting the timing all the way back past the timing marks about
a half inch (probably around 30-35 deg BTDC) made the engine run a lot
better.  Took the car for a test drive (about a mile) and it ran pretty
well, however, the exhaust doesn't smell quite right - smells very rich I
think.  Any opinions on this one!!!  Help please.

Thanks
Patrick Bowen
'79 Spitfire
Jacksonville FL