Broken Transmission Selector

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Broken Transmission Selector
From: Jambone <jambone6@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 18:16:48 -0800 (PST)
I broke a plastic piece in the gearbox extension area of my '76 spit
1500.  It goes around the "seat-gear level yoke" as Vicky Brit calls
it.  This piece is located where the gearshift lever mates with the
selector shaft.  I pulled out the transmission tunnel cover, the gear
shift lever, and the top cover to the gearbox.  I also removed the
rear end cap from the chamber where the broken piece is.

My problem is, I can't seem to remove the selector shaft to replace
the broken piece on the end.  I think my car is stuck in 3rd gear.
How do I get the selector shaft out from the interlok spool and other
bits in the gearbox???  I have a Haynes manual, but it only deals with
3 rail gearboxes, not the single rail.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Brian Hill
'76 Spitfire 1500