Re: driver's side mirror

To: "Keith R. Stewart" <kstewart@wwdc.com>
Subject: Re: driver's side mirror
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 23:38:27 -0000
> On many models there really was no such thing as 'orignal mirrors'
here in
> North America. In many cases, mirrors were installed here by the
North
> American dealer. However, I would think that 'original' or 'period'
mirrors
> for a 77 Spit would be more likely the trapezoid-shaped, wing type
of
> mirror...probably with a black finish, rather than the bullet type
you
> describe. If this is correct, I believe a British company, Tex, is
still
> making these mirrors and most suppliers seem to have this type. The
ones I
> have seen seem to be of decent quality. Hope this helps.

Keith,
By the time of the late 70's in the UK, we were getting far more used
to door mounted mirrors than the wing mounted versions. From what I
can remember, the Spitfire of around 77 had the same shaped door
mirror as that fitted to UK and european Spitfires. I'm sure I'll be
corrected by others with far more detailed records / memories than
me, but I THINK the North American mirror was painted matt black. If
you go to Jim altman's website of Triumphs at Gaydon which he put
together from pics I took for everyone last year, you'll see the very
last Spitfire made and it has the type of mirror to which I refer. In
this car's case, the mirror has a stainless housing. You may have to
zoom in very close to get a proper idea of the mirror overall shape.
You'll find the pic at http://www.altlaw.com/metro/jaltman.html

John Mac