Re: Amphi-Car

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Amphi-Car
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 20:31:21 -0500
At 03:01 PM 1/23/99 -800, Neil wrote:

>Yes, I defintely remember reading somewhere that they were Triumph powered.
> As I recall, someone displayed one at a Triumph owners show in England,
based
>on the heritage of the motor.

A quote from the one of the Amphi-car web page (/www.amphicar.com/)

in reagards to the engine:
   "An ad in local paper turned up a very good Herald engine."

And from www.avonlogic.com/acarint.htm quotes from their FAQ:

With regards to where was it made:

    "So is it a Triumph / Renault / Austin ?   None of these, the Amphicar
    Corporation was a separate company that was initially funded by the
    German Government, there are connections with some other German
    manufacturers such as Borgward, Mercedes and BMW and the engine used
    came from Triumph in the UK. The plans were that Amphicar would be a
    new manufacturer and would produce about 20,000 cars a year for the
    North American market."

Production quanity:
   "The best guess is about 3500, almost all these went to the USA, there
   were no more than 500 sold in Europe and other parts of the world.
   Amphicar also built a batch of less than 100 with Right Hand Drive for
   the UK market."

John

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V

www.team.net/www/morgan        bricklin.shel.olsy-na.com/bi