Re: Head Studs -Reply

To: EDDINSK@NRISO.NOLA.NAVY.MIL, spitfires@autox.team.net, examiner@scci.net
Subject: Re: Head Studs -Reply
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 20:38:10 EST
In a message dated 1/23/99 8:26:25 PM Eastern Standard Time,
EDDINSK@NRISO.NOLA.NAVY.MIL writes:

> I don't think there will be any torque specs for the studs.  Just be sure
>  they are good and snug.

Bob and Kevin,

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and try to relate something I read a while
back, but don't clearly remember.

According to the article (in either Hot Rod or Car Craft) you do NOT want to
torque the head studs, the reason being the head studs won't torque till they
bottom out, and then there's a danger of stress fracture of the block and/or
the studs. I wish I remembered more, but you could go to the local library and
check it out for yourself. It was sometime in the last two years, I believe,
and almost all libraries keep microfilm of both magazines.

In addition to that warning, they also gave a procedure for installing the
studs. I won't take a chance on giving you bum information, but it's worth
your while to look up the article. I will do the same, but this time, instead
of trusting my memory, I'll make a copy for my files.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    http://www.sky.net/~boballen/mg/Masters/index.html
'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74