stromberg mixture adjustment

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: stromberg mixture adjustment
From: trunnell@mindspring.com (Glenn Trunnell)
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 18:45:09 -0500
Hi everybody,

I just have a quick question about the mixture on my '79.  It seems that
the car will only idle smoothly when the carburetor is adjusted almost
fully rich.  Even a 1/4 to 1/2 turn toward the lean side makes the idle
more rough.  It runs well on the road but the exhaust smells rich and it
tends to diesel for a couple of seconds when I turn it off.  I have tuned
it and adjusted the timing and valves and I can't find an air leak.  The
colortune shows that it is running rich as well.  I have heard that if the
float level is too low then the gas won't be high enough in the bowl and
the engine will run lean, I'm going to check this, on saturday.  In the
meantime has anyone experienced this?

TIA

Glenn
'79 Spitfire