Techron, WAS: Petrol, continued...

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Techron, WAS: Petrol, continued...
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 21:07:01 -0500
Hi all you chem-heads,

I have heard several references to "Techron" as an octane-increasing additive.

How about an explanation of this for the layman (what is this stuff)?
Can it be bought retail?
Do more than one oil company use it in their fuels?
Is this the ingredient in octane boosters (e.g. 104+ and similar products)?

P.S. The new car we just bought has a knock sensor for every cylinder and
direct-spark ignition timing that can be varied by the engine's ECU for
each spark plug.   The result of this hi-tech engine management is, the
manufacturer says there is a 4% difference in HP when 'regular' (87 octane)
vs. 'premium' (92 octane) gasoline is used.

The price difference between the two grades is 20%.   Hardly seems
worthwhile to use premium to me.

JMHO,

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire  FM96062 UO