electrical problem help!!

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: electrical problem help!!
From: jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil (Bowen, Patrick A. RP2)
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 19:26:55
I got into my car the other night and smelt a burnt smell, went to start
the car and sure enough the battery is dead.  Easy conclusion, I have a
short.  I was able to jump the battery and drive the car home.  The short
is apparently a slow one as it is doing no noticeable damage to the wires.
(Some of the wires seem warm, but that could also be normal current and
Florida summer put together)  And the short takes several hours to drain
out. I looked took apart the dash and it has been chopped before pretty
heavily so I am preparing to rebuild what I can.  But it didn't do this
before, and I have been driving the car everyday for over a year.  How can
I isolate this short.  and is there a better wiring diagram than the one in
the haynes manual?

Thanks a LOT,
Patrick

PS. speaking of bashing our favorite distributors... did anyone notice the
TR6 windshield, frame, and hardware in the Spitfire catalog that just came
out from Vicki Brit.  Oops
Patrick Bowen
'79 Spitfire
Jacksonville FL