intermittent brake problem

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: intermittent brake problem
From: jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil (Bowen, Patrick A. RP2)
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 19:20:59
I rebuilt my brake master cylinder two weeks ago and after several attempts
believe I have it right.  However, they are working intermittently.  They
are good and stiff but sometimes they are super soft (almost straight push
through)  When they are soft about 3 to 5 quick pumps bring them back up to
force.  What could this be?  Do I have air still in the lines that when it
is well mixed with brake fluid they work fine, but when the air gathers
into one big bubble they go soft.  Do I just need to bleed AGAIN.  or am I
looking at some other problem.

Patrick
Patrick Bowen
'79 Spitfire