RE: BRAKE Light... (RESOLUTION) And Kudos to TRF!

To: "Sam Gentry" <hsgentry@cfw.com>,
Subject: RE: BRAKE Light... (RESOLUTION) And Kudos to TRF!
From: "Gregory W. Smith" <gsmith@cvn.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 23:46:31 -0400
I called level 2 ordering to find out price & availability for a M/C rebuild
kit ($25, 6-8 in stock, if memory serves) and when the TRF employee
answered, I thought it was still the phone system... apparently John Swauger
(sp?) is the "voice" of the phone system as well as a higher-up at TRF, and
all around swell guy. I explained my symptom to him, and while he admitted
that the M/C or PDWA could be causes, he suggested I check the metal brake
lines before buying any parts.
(Amazing, a parts place suggesting you NOT buy parts :) because they do
recognize the feelings you get when your expensive new part doesn't fix the
problem)
So once I got home today, I pumped the daylights out of the brakes and
looked for a puddle. Right rear. I'm thinking to myself,"that was a BRAND
NEW rubber line, and a BRAND NEW rear cylinder." Both true, but the nut on
the steel line that runs from the rubber hose to the rear cylinder must have
loosened about 1/2 turn. Maybe even a full turn. I tightened it down,
retightened all of the other rear nuts, and the PDWA even went back to
normal.
The BRAKE light is now out!

Even better, John told me that TRF received their Spit catalogs from the
printers and mailed them out last week. If you're not in their system as a
Spitfire owner, you'll probably need to request one.

So, has anyone received a Spitfire catalog from TRF yet?

Gregory W. Smith      http://www.cvn.net/~gsmith
Member, Central Pennsylvania Triumph Club
1980 Spitfire 1500 "for the wife" WITH WORKING BRAKES!!!!!
1980 TR7 Spider v8 (in progress)
1980 TR7 30th Anniversary Edition (deceased)