Re: Painting and lubricating a rear spring

To: "T. .R. Dafforn" <td214@cam.ac.uk>,
Subject: Re: Painting and lubricating a rear spring
From: "James Carpenter" <james.carpenter@jccsystems.swinternet.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 23:46:57 +0100
So you picked it up from TRGB directly then?  What 30 miles away, thats
quite lucky!

My Spring was from Rimmer, I got it and it really needed alot of work for it
to last as long as the original.

Unfortunately I could only spare three nights to do the job so any prep work
went out the window.  I in fact got the local Triumph - MG garage to replace
the spring.  So no work was done on the spring.  It has started to rust in
places a wear.

In the summer I will take it out of the car I will dress the spring, taking
off all the square edges, then I will paint the leaves.  I will then grease
it with CARBON grease.  Then as per suggestions in Pratical Classics, I will
wrap in special plumbers tape (I need to find the mag with that in) but this
should seal it from water ingress, and keep it squeak free for ages.

These replacement springs, are rubbish quality compared to the originals
because they are made so cheap.  You can however easily make them exactly
the same quality as the originals with an angle grinder and a bit of skill.
I reckon seeking the advice of a mechanic who is used to leaf springs, very
rare these days.