steering rack and stub axle

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: steering rack and stub axle
From: "Keith Burns" <kayak_keith@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 11:55:57 PDT
Hello all,
Rebuilding the front end (71 MK IV). The steering rack is tight, no
play. When I removed the tie rods from the steering I notieced that
they just flop down from the rack. Hmmm. What I mean is that there is
no tension on the threaded rods that are coming out of the steering
rack. Is this ok or do I need to replace the springs in the steering
rack. (VB part # 5-1880 spring that rests against the Ball-pin)?
Also on my stub axles there is some shininess from the bearing races
having moved some. I am ordering new bearings, but how do I determine
if I need new stub axles. (Considering the cost don't want to buy them
just because) :)
Thanks for your time and thoughts,
Keith