Re: Strange Engine Noise

To: "Ron Roach" <rroach@intouch.bc.ca>, <Jjcousins@ra.rockwell.com>
Subject: Re: Strange Engine Noise
From: "Elizabeth Reynolds" <emreynolds59@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 15:26:36 -0500
Ron,
I had a similar noise in my 1979 Spitfire. The engine rumbled at idle, but
the noise went away when there was a load on the engine. Other than the
noise the car ran fine. I initially thought it was the timing chain, but
when the timing chain cover was removed, I found a loose timing gear. The
DPO had not used the appropriate locking devices and the bolts were all
loose and worn oblong in shape. Have a look soon, if the bolts on the gear
shear you could have a major problem on your hands.
                                        John Reynolds
----------
> From: Ron Roach <rroach@intouch.bc.ca>
> To: Jjcousins@ra.rockwell.com
> Cc: spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
> Subject: Re: Strange Engine Noise
> Date: Friday, April 09, 1999 2:02 PM
>

> John, My '78 spit has a strange rattle at idle that's intermitent, but
goes
> away after revs are increased.  It sounds like transmission bearings,
maybe
> the throwout bearing, although when the clutch is depressed, it's still
> there.  I've been driving the car for a year without any other problems
so
> I'm going to keep driving it until something becomes more noticeable.
Maybe
> it's camshaft wear?
> good luck,
> ron