Re: Headlight removal

To: Rick Gregory <rick_gregory@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Headlight removal
From: Patrick Barber <sailnbail@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 23:33:49 -0400
Rick Gregory wrote:

> My '77 spit passenger side headlight just blew-out
> today (on the low-beam side). I need to replace the
> lamp, but how exactly do I do this?
>
> My hayes manual indicates I need to remove an
> outer-housing, which does not exist on my car. Plus a
> securing "snap-ring" which, according to the text,
> requires some special tool?
>
> I also checked the VTR site and Triumph FAQ but found
> nothing...
>
> Surely replacing this headlight is easier than it
> looks?
>
> ===
> --Rick
>
> Spitfire page at http://www.apiinc.com/rick/spitrec.html

Rick,
Replacing the headlight is not easy at all.  Your car does have an outer
housing which comprises of the entire headlight bay.  To remove you will
have to open the bonnet and remove three bolts which hold this unique
headlight "ring" in place.  If you follow the wires from the front of
the bonnet to the headlight you will find the three fasteners holding
this unit in place.  I found it quite difficult to remove these
fasteners as they were rusted, three different sizes of heads and
absolutely impossible to see the third one tucked in deep along the
fender.

Good Luck!!!

--
Patrick Barber, Allen Park, MI