Re: Things that go clunk

To: LARRY ELSWICK <sos@kymtnnet.org>,
Subject: Re: Things that go clunk
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 09:07:24 -0400
At 08:46 AM 4/11/99 -0400, LARRY ELSWICK wrote:

>The clunking noise is coming from the
>right rear of my Spit. It is most noticeable
>when first pulling out and is definitely related
>to revolutions of the wheel. Is possible to have
>a worn U-joint on the half shaft and it not show
>obvious "play" when I grab hold of it and shake
>it. If I do replace it how much of a job is that?
>Thanks!

Larry, before you go for u-joints, check the tightness and condition of the
radius rods (a.k.a. trailing arms, with rubber bushings), vertical link,
and the four bolts holding the brake backing plate to the hub.   In my
car's case, the bolts were _not quite_ tight, allowing a clunk.

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire
Succasunna, NJ USA