Re: Things that go clunk

To: LARRY ELSWICK <sos@kymtnnet.org>,
Subject: Re: Things that go clunk
From: jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil (Bowen, Patrick A. RP2)
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 12:05:54
Larry, the answer is most definitely yes.  ( i went through this several
months ago)  As far as replacing it, I would say medium difficulty level.
Best way is to remove the entire axle assembly for that side, and replace
it, or better yet take the axle assembly to a driveline shop and have them
replace, will probably cost you less than $10 especially if you use their
u-joints.

Patrick

At 08:46 AM 4/11/99 -0400, LARRY ELSWICK wrote:

>The clunking noise is coming from the
>right rear of my Spit. It is most noticeable
>when first pulling out and is definitely related
>to revolutions of the wheel. Is possible to have
>a worn U-joint on the half shaft and it not show
>obvious "play" when I grab hold of it and shake
>it. If I do replace it how much of a job is that?
>Thanks!

Patrick Bowen
'79 Spitfire
Jacksonville FL