Re: engine clicking

To: "Ryan Smith" <shmitty99@hotmail.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: engine clicking
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 20:27:29 -0400
At 01:32 PM 4/11/99 PDT, Ryan Smith wrote:

  Before I
>make the trek I'd like to figure out what this clicking noise I hear
>is.
>
>The engine has a rhythmic click that's proportional to rpm.  I can't
>really tell where its coming from.  I suspect maybe a lifter or
>perhaps the fuel pump or water pump.  The car has done this as long
>as I've owned it and it runs very strong now but the sound still
>bothers me.
>
>Any direction would be appreciated, thanks

Well Ryan, rather than speculate what it is over the ether, how about
trying to narrow down the source of the noise?

You could invest in an automotive stethoscope.  Or, even cruder, you could
try holding some pipe to the suspected components to try and hear the noise.

Just be careful, don't get it caught in any of the whirly bits.   :-0

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire "A cacophony of delight"