RE: Valve Adjustment take 2

To: "'Michael Graziano'" <mgrazian@ltcm.com>
Subject: RE: Valve Adjustment take 2
From: "Haynes, Mark" <mhaynes@ball.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 16:02:59 -0600
Michael, if your timing & timing marks are in the correct position , there's
no reason for it to backfire through the carb. I'm not up to date with your
problem, so bear with me if I repeat some things you've probably checked
already.It sounds like a timing problem. If it's a new engine, or a new cam
or timing gears,then the most obvious and most likely is the cam is timed
incorrectly. At one time, we had the race cam on our SPIT 1300 set 18
degrees advanced with no damage to the valves (even at 12:1compression), so
it can be set that far off, or more, without interference. The next greatest
possibility is that you've got a bad intake valve. If it's not a new engine,
then this is highly possible. Have you checked for carbon tracking inside
the distributor cap? There are more possibilities, but these have the
greatest likelihood of being the problem IMHO
Mark Haynes
'65 SPIT RMVR #162
'62 HAN6 Sprite