Cam Bearings

To: Spitfire List <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cam Bearings
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 09:14:44 -0700
The recent thread about Cam Bearings has stirred me to do some research
and after doing so, I am no more clear on the subject as I was before
the study.  Here's what I found:

The three different cams I found are
1. All Mk1 Spitfires
2. Mk2's and Mk3's
3. '69 Mk3 through 1500

The cam bearings being offered appear to cover all Spitfires to 1972
1300 engines.

Ny quandary is: If the cams are the same from 69 through the 1500's, the
bearing journals must all be the same size and in order to install cam
bearings in the engines that do not have bearings, one would have to
align bore the block to the size that will allow the bearings from
earlier engines to fit.  I had that done with my 1500 engine, but I
don't know if the machine shop used early Spitfire cam bearings or some
"off-the-shelf" ones that they had.

Anyway, if anybody can add anything to this (or tell me that I am full
of ****) please do.

Regards,
Joe
 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer