Re: Nissan Engined Spitfire(repost in correct form, I hope)

To: tshirley@VoyagerOnline.net
Subject: Re: Nissan Engined Spitfire(repost in correct form, I hope)
From: Reed Mideke <rmideke@interbase.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 09:36:56 -0700

Tom Shirley wrote:

> Reed Mideke wrote:
> > There is not many performance parts specificly aimed at
> > these motors.
>
> Check with Nissan Motorsports. They have a catalog with lots of
> performance stuff for the A series motors.

thanks.
> > Since mine was already modified, I'm
> > in the process of converting it to a 1600cc DOHC motor.
>
> Keep us posted on how it turns out. What engine are you using?

Purists and concourse fans may want to avert their eyes
and make signs for warding off evil...

The motor is from a 94 Sentra (GA16DE). It's a mult port EFI, with
variable timing on the intake cam. I'm converting the motor to hook
up to a 210 trans (rather than converting the spit to FWD ;-) The
sentra motors share some of the same aligning pins and bolt holes as
the A series, so it's not as bad as it sounds. I have finished making
the adapter plate that allows the tranny to bolt up to the motor, and
have modified the bell housing to accept the starter in the sentra
position. It all bolts together and looks like a nice package hanging
from come-alongs in my friends garage. But there's still a lot of little
things that need to be done. The wiring harness is truely daunting, but
fortunatly  most of it goes to gadgets which don't exist in a spitfire.
The trick will be giving the computer all the right inputs, so it
doesn't refuse to work becuase my ABS and airbag sysmems aren't
functioning ;-).

The main fitting problems for the motor are the intake (which sticks up
quite a bit) and the fact that both the intake hose and the distributer
stick off the  back of the motor when it's set up for rwd. These might
end up sitting just above the shelf that holds the master cyls, the
washer bottle, etc. I'm also looking into turning the intake around,
and maybe upside down too. A remote oil filter will probably be
required too. There's also the little problem that the
hump on the oil pan is on the wrong end.

Hopefully I'll have a report on how it drives pretty soon.

--
Reed Mideke                                        rmideke@interbase.com