Nissan Engined Spitfire(repost in correct form, I hope)

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Nissan Engined Spitfire(repost in correct form, I hope)
From: "Geoffrey Easton" <geoffeaston@attcanada.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 09:40:45 -0230
Hello All

Some advice, if you please?

I have the opportunity to buy a '75 Spitfire in very good shape for a very
reasonable price BUT..... it has a Nissan motor of unknown origin. The
current owner believes it may be a B210 1500cc of unknown year but not for
sure. DPO installed it and is no longer around. It runs well and needs the
normal things that come from being garaged for a couple years.
I am trying to decide if this is a worthwhile project of whether I should
just keep looking for an intact car.

And now for some specific questions. Bear in mind that I live on a large
piece of rock off the Northeast corner of North America in the midst of the
North Atlantic ocean. There is no great stock of cars or parts to choose
from and shipping to here can be very expensive.
As well, labour will not be a factor as I am quite capable of doing the work
myself.

1. Is anybody out there familiar with this configuration? Does it use just
the engine or does it include the transmission as well? Can it be undone
easily? Should I undo it?

2. How hard will it be to find a complete engine unit w/ carbs etc. to slot
in, and if so am I going to be 5 & 10ed to death with all the little bits to
get it running? What would a reasonable price be for a reasonably intact
engine be?

I realize that there will be a great deal of subjectivity here but if I can
gather enough information I can make the appropriate decision.

BTW if there's anybody out the in the Ottawa, Canada area who would be able
to help my sister find a reasonable car that she would be able to drive down
for me, this whole thing could be moot.

Thanks all

Geoff Easton
St. John's, Nfld., Canada