Re: Nissan Engined Spitfire(repost in correct form, I hope)

To: Geoffrey Easton <geoffeaston@attcanada.net>
Subject: Re: Nissan Engined Spitfire(repost in correct form, I hope)
From: John Suchak <suchak@mediaone.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 09:22:44 -0400
Hey Geoffrey:

Let me admit right up front to a Nissan bias.  I've had several and have
had great experiences with all of them.  My daily driver is a Nissan
with 165,000 miles on it that's as tight as the day I bought it, in
spite of daily trips to the 6000 RPM Zone.  A truly entertaining twin
cam in a remarkably durable package.  All I've ever had to do to this
thing (aside from consistent maintenance) was replace a fuel pump, which
ended up being on recall and was provided by the dealer at no charge!

I've had a B210 as well, not exactly a screamer, but a reasonably smooth
and dependable motor.  Mine was crippled with an automatic transmission
that really limited the motor, but when you got the revs up it built
some power.  If your's is a manual that'd be a big plus.

My biggest concern would be the conversion itself.  I've seen quite a
range of craftsmanship in motor swaps, from the immaculate engineering
in our boy Tim's Ro-Spit, to v6's welded directly to frame rails with
angle iron and scrap metal.  The fella's at Triumph may have done some
goofy things from time to time, but they eventually got it right.
Obviously, some liquored-up numbskull might not have access to the same
level of expertise and experience.  Of course, the flip side of this
would be the guy who meticulously works through all of the challenges
and ends up with a well-sorted hybrid.  My point is simply that the
conversion itself probably provides the widest range upon which to make
ones decision.

There are intangibles like the karmic ramifications of cutting out an
automobiles heart (and some might argue, soul), but that's your trip to
work through...   I'm still wrestling with eating eggs myself, but we
all have our little burdens.  If it helps you any, I'd drive a hybrid.
(I dream of dropping a Mitsubishi 2.6 Turbo from a Conquest/Starion into
my Spit to build the "Spitsubishi"....   Ahhhh, someday.....)

Finally, in a somewhat limited pool of spare parts (as you describe
yourself) there are probably more Nissans to cannibalize than Spits. You
may find that your motor was used in several different Nissan models as
well, exponentially enhancing your parts potential.

Hope I've helped.

John