RE: Wannabe (kinda long)

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Wannabe (kinda long)
From: Dean Dashwood <DDashwood@softwright.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 09:29:51 +0100
Hi Mark!

Welcome to the world of Spitfires!  I haven't been here all that long (a
couple of months) but if you're anything like me, you'll love it!  I saw
a beautiful yellow Spitfire when I was about 17, and thought it was the
nicest looking car I'd ever seen.  I've wanted one ever since, and now I
have one, I think it's not only the nicest looking car ever, but the
best drive, too!

Anyway, to answer a few of your questions:

I find myself doing something to my car most weekends, but never
anything major (except converting to unleaded - that was fun for someone
who certainly doesn't consider himself a mechanic!)  I'd certainly never
contemplate swapping the engine - my 1500 is perfectly good enough.

As for which one is better, we had a thread about that recently, and the
conclusion was everyone has different opinions.  Personally, I think the
Mk 3 is the nicest looking Spitfire, but I went for a 1500 (which is the
second-nicest) for that bit of extra power.  (I don't think that's so
important in the US, though, because smog stuff slows the 1500 down to
not much faster than the 1300 anyway.)

My opinion - check out the '79 (there's pleny of people on the list who
can tell you what's likely to need doing to a car which hasn't run for 3
years, far better than I could) and as long as it's not about to fall
apart, go for it, you'll love it!

Dean Dashwood
'77 Spit 1500 (back on the road again!)