Spitfire Graveyard (longish ramble - sorry)

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spitfire Graveyard (longish ramble - sorry)
From: "Paul McMullen" <paul@bessacarr.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 00:51:35 +0100
Dear all,

Went to The Spitfire Graveyard today whilst I was in Sheffield (U.K.
Sheffield that is), the mechanics were in the middle of breaking a Spit for
spares! It was like walking in on a post-mortem.
They've got a few Spits for restoration, including a MK1, two TR7
convertibles, two fixed head, two GT6's and a MK 2 Jag. There is also a
mountain of new and used spares.
The owner, Richard, is quite open to offers on all his stock and is quite
happy to post stuff either in the U.K. or to the States. Give him a ring on
0114 270 0886 or 0114 268 2071 (No vested interest etc).
I wanted a pair of corner valances for my Spit and picked up a good pair of
fibreglass ones for £30 including sidelight/indicator assemblies, wiring and
mounting plates and when I mentioned that my foglights had disintegrated he
threw in a pair for free.
Now don't shout but before I left I saw a bright green 1976 TR7 fhc with
body kit, 5-speed conversion and alloys outside and now it's sat on my
driveway, £800 with road tax and test. If they'd had a Spit in the same
condition I would have bought that instead, honest.
Now that my Spit is in the garage (in bits) and my daughter has made off
with my Ford Fiesta I needed a daily driver but seeing that She Who Must Be
Obeyed has just been for a drive in the TR, I shall probably end up with her
Cavalier.
Just for interest when I 'phoned for insurance to my usual company (£110
fully comprehensive) I asked for a quote on the TR for my 17 year old
daughter, £1663!
She can stick with the Fiesta.
Finally (I can hear the sighs) can anyone tell me the tyre pressures for
185/60/13's for the TR7, the nearest I can find are 24 front/28 rear for
185/65/13's.
If anyone has reached this far thanks and good motoring.

Paul

1981 Spifire 1500 white (in bits).
1989 Fiesta 1.6S blue.
1976 TR7 lime green.