Electronic ignition

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Electronic ignition
From: A666K@aol.com
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 13:30:33 EDT
Hey all,
Just put an order in for crane cams XR-3000 electronic ignition and their
Ps-91 high power coil.  I had a couple of questions for any who might know;
1. In the crane wiring diagram (http://cranecams.com/ignition1/wiredia1.htm)
it says to bypass the resistor when using the XR-3000. it shows it being
bypassed with 14 awg wire, can I simply remove the ballast and reconnect the
two female blade-type connectors directly?
2. With the greatly improved ignition output, I could obviously increase the
spark plug gap. Too much gap would obviously be a bad thing, but I have heard
too little gap can cause some hesitation (This from a webpage that goes
through a XR-3000 install in an old beetle) what should I gap the plugs
then?( the coil specs are at http://cranecams.com/ignition1/ps91.htm)
3.I have purchased magnacor 8.5 mm sparkplug wires to handle this new system.
Should I use the O.E. type plugs, cap and rotor?
Sorry for the length and thanx in advance
Avi & Cheech the '78 only-driver spit
PS
If anybody is interested in the outcome of this install, I should have it in
by next week so let me know.