RE: Oil Filters

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Oil Filters
From: "Kirby T. Kenyon" <ktkenyon@borg.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 13:27:14 -0400
I would assume that the best way to see if a filter is working well is to
look both at the oil coming out and measure the weight difference between
the used filter and the new.  That would show how much stuff was trapped by
the filter.

P.S. I used a Fram for the first oil change on my '80 (which uses a
different filter because of the air pump mounting so I had to find
something longer than the PO had on it).  When I took it off to replace it,
most of the internals of the filter had collapsed and were mostly blocking
the oil flow.  I recently put an oil pressure gauge in the car and the
highest the pressure got was about 78PSI cold so I don't think it was over
pressure.

When I removed the Motorcraft that was on for the second oil change there
was no problem.  Next, I'll try an AC Delco.

At 12:16 PM 7/20/99 -0500, Eric A. Yates wrote:

>I use Purolator #L10017 on my '78 Spitfire 1500. I use this particular
>filter simply because when I bought the car that's what was on it, and I've
>just replaced it ever since with the same item! I don't have any complaints
>about this filter, but I wonder: how would one know whether or not the
>filter is working well? Simply by the appearance of the oil that I drain
>from the engine during an oil change (the cleaner, the better)?
>
>Eric.
>

>-----
>Eric Yates
>eyates@enteract.com