Re: Oil Filters

To: "Simmons, Reid W" <reid.w.simmons@intel.com>,
Subject: Re: Oil Filters
From: "Tony Childs" <tochilds@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 14:23:23 -0400
I have used the Purolator Pure One filter mentioned and had good results.
The only problem I had with it was when I went to change it, the gasket,
which appears to be some kind of red rubber, stuck to the mounting face on
the block, even though I had lubricated it properly upon installation.
Needless to say, this made turning the filter to remove it rather difficult.
The best solution I have found is the Wix Part Number 51084 filter.  It has
the anti-drain back valve and has a hex-head welded to the end of the filter
housing.  If you've ever tried to fit a strap type filter wrench around the
oil filter on a Spitfire to remove it, you can appreciate this added
feature!  This filter is also sold under some private labels, i.e. Carquest
85084.  Just my $0.02!

Tony Childs
72 Spitfire - FK38809U