Re: BHP ?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: BHP ?
From: nikolai jaremka <njaremka@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 07:58:44 -0700 (PDT)

yes.

by all means, modify the engine you have.  you will have no
problems with it fitting easy, and if you do it 'right', you
will have no problems with reliability.  buy yourself a
competition preperation manual for the specific car you have
(1500 or mk1-4).  if you follow all the sugestions in the
manual, you will get an engine the really screams.  just keep in
mind what you plan on doing with it.  if you want to drive it on
the street, concentrate on building up the lower rpm power
rather than looking for high horsepower ratings.

--- "Terry L. Thompson" <tlt@digex.net> wrote:

> I see listings for horsepower on triumph models with the
> notation "bhp".
> (e.g. a 1500 federal model has 57 bhp, and a GT6 federal model
> has ~106 bhp.)
>
> Can I assume that is "brake horse power"? (as in American
> rated horse
> power?)
>
> Also, has anyone heard of a 1500cc Spit engine being brought
> above 100 hp?
> (I know a twin SU equiped spit is rated at 71 bhp without
> catalyst.)
>
> The reason I'm asking is that since an engine swap for another
> engine (289?
> 302?)
> is a very daunting task, requiring mods for frame, body,
> drive-train and
> suspension,
> I'm wondering how effective it would be to have another Spit
> engine built
> up with
> performance cam, dual point distributor, roller rocker,
> tubular push rods,
> competition valves, dual valve springs, etc. (I'm specing the
> cost, and it
> seems
> a lot more reasonable to do than to modify the car with a
> larger foreign
> block and
> drive train.)
>
> Terry L. Thompson