Re: BHP ?

To: "Terry L. Thompson" <tlt@digex.net>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: BHP ?
From: Laura.G@141.com (Laura Gharazeddine)
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 08:24:45 -0700

> has anyone heard of a 1500cc Spit engine being brought above 100 hp?
> (I know a twin SU equiped spit is rated at 71 bhp without catalyst.)

Yes. When the engine on my car was being rebuilt, the PO had the intention
of
racing it-so....it was tweaked. Remember-F1 engines used to be 1500-it's
not the size-it's the skill of the mechanic!

The engine was completely taken apart. A lot of time and effort was put into
putting it back together. (Remember-he does this for a living-and he used to
build
race cars-) Combined with the headers and side draft Weber...Oil cooler...I
mean
every little detail. It's a very fast car. And there haven't been any engine
problems-
and I drive it hard. But, he and his son took it out to test it when they
finished-to see if
he could "break" it-and he couldn't (and he drove it REALLY hard!)-it
redlines up
around 9500.

I know that no one on the list believes me-so, I won't even go into the
datails-
the answer to your question is emphatically YES-given the time, skill and
money-
YES!

Laura G. and Nigel