Re: TRF Summer Party Car Show

To: "Bill Gunshannon" <bill@cs.uofs.edu>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: TRF Summer Party Car Show
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 22:21:34 +0100
>One curiosity though.  In front of the Coventry Inn was a TR5 that
>had 2500 on the side and PI on the back.  I have never seen one of
>these before.  But when I was in Europe, I had a friend with a
>Triumph 2.5PI.  We always used to wonder about taking a TR6 or TR250
>and putting the engine, trans and diff from the PI into it.  If I
>understand what I saw (unfortunately, this car must be someones
>transportation and wasn't in the show, so the hood was down and I
>didn't get to see the engine) Triumph actually sold a car that was
>exactly this.  Can anyone (like it's owner!) verify this to satisfy
>my curiosity??

Bill - you were looking at a REAL TR5. Sold everywhere outside North America
and related territories (where it was called the TR250 with twin
Strombergs), it had a 2498cc engine with Lucas fuel injection. Power was
about 150bhp. The same engine was fitted to the 2.5PI saloon but in slightly
derated form so its output was 132bhp. Pity you never got to see under the
bonnet - you'd have enjoyed it. A ride in it would have been even better.
When you come to England, I'll be happy to take you to see the former
factory site in my car.

Jonmac